Where to Play
Float the Deschutes River
The classic Sunriver family experience
We recommend the following float trips:
- La Pine State Park to Big River Boating Site (5 Hours)
- Big River Boating Site to Harper Bridge (4 Hours)
- Harper Bridge to Besson Day Use (1 Hour)
- Besson Day Use to Sunriver Canoe Take Out (5 Hours)
Steps to float the Deschutes (requires at least 2 vehicles)
- Load kayaks, canoe, or innertubes onto/into two cars.
- Drive both cars to your final destination.
- Leave car #1 parked at final destination.
- Drive car #2 to launch site.
- Enjoy a leisurely float down the river.
- Beach boats at final destination.
- Load people and boats into car #1 and go and retrieve car #2.
Cardinal Landing Footbridge
Big River Campground
Deschutes River Play Sites
All these sites are close to Sunriver. The water is moving so we recommend young kids play in life jackets. Day use permits are required for parking.
CARDINAL LANDING FOOT BRIDGE
Located in Sunriver. There is no parking so this is a fun bike-to adventure. Swimming spots are on the National Forest side, just across the bridge. Map Location
BESSON DAY USE AREA
Located on National Forest side of Deschutes River down the road from Sunriver. A great place to put bodies, kayaks or inner tubes in the water and just play. Directions
BIG RIVER CAMPGROUND
A great place to put bodies, kayaks or inner tubes in the water and just play. Directions
Fun in the sun without the smell of seaweed
Cultus Lake is one of the most popular of the high Cascade Lakes because it is one of the few that allows waterskiing, windsurfing, sailing, and jet skiing. There is a large public beach right next to Cultus Lake Resort. Directions
SOUTH TWIN LAKE
South Twin Lake has a beautiful beach and day use area with picnic tables, a small grocery store and restaurant. Get there early for the best spot on the beach. Directions
EAST AND PAULINA LAKES
East Lake has one of the longest mountain beaches in CentralOregon. Both East and Paulina have lodges and restaurants where you can buy all the essentials for a fun day on the water. Directions